How to cook Kare-kare

How to cook Kare-kare
Kare-kare is one of the favorite of our family. Every time we’re am going back for vacation kare-kare is one on my check list to my mom to cook for me. Luckily before I am going back to KL she teaches me how to do it. This is also a bonding moment with me and my mom. She teaches me the traditional way of cooking kare-kare. It is a long process of how to make the sauce or the soup of the kare-kare. But thanks to technology, now I can make it with the pre-mix kare-kare.

I know my mom’s kare-kare is better than the kare-kare mix. But this kare-kare mix is a big help for me as an OFW.  

Kare-kare is also one of the best dishes in the Philippines. Popular restaurant like Max listed kare-kare on their menu. I wish I can order this in a fast food chain like Jolibee someday.LOL

Ingredients for Kare-kare
Beef tripe – 1/2 Kilo – cut rectangle
Eggplant – 3 medium size - cut diagonally
Banana Bud – 1pc. – cut diagonally
Long Beans – 1 bundle - cut in 2” long
 Pechay – 1 bundle
Garlic – 1/2 head – chopped
Onions – 2 pieces large – chopped
1 Mama Sita’s Kare-Kare Mix
Cooking oil
Bagoong Alamang

How I do it
Put water in a pot, add the beef tripe, cover and bring to a boil. Let the beef tripe be tender and add water if required. Separate the beef tripe and let it cool.

Heat the sauce pan, put the cooking oil, and add the garlic and onions. Add the beef tripe, stir and cook for 5 minutes then pour 3 cups of water and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Add the kare-kare mix (the Kare-Kare mix should melt into 1 cup of water) and the banana bud. Cover and simmer until the sauce thickens. Add the eggplant and beans, cook until it is tender then add the pechay for 2 minutes.

Prepare the bagoong alamang when you serve it with love.

Sa Tagalog
Maglagay ng tubig sa isang kaserola, ilagay ang beef tripe, takpan at pakuluin. Hayaan lumabot ang mga karne at magdagdag ng tubig kung kailangan. Paghiwalayin ang mga karne at hayaang lumamig.

Initin ang kawali, ilagay ang mantika, at ilagay na rin ang bawang at sibuyas. Idagdag ang beef tripe, haluin at lutuin ng 5 minuto, pagkatapos ay maglagay 3 tasa ng tubig at hayaan itong kumulo ng 5 minuto. Ilagay ang Kare-Kare mix (ang Kare-Kare mix ay dapat tunawin na sa 1 tasa ng tubig) at banana bud. Takpan at hayaang kumulo hanggang ang sarsa ay kumapal. Ilagay ang talong at sitaw, lutuin ito hanggang sa lumambot at pagkatapos ilagay ang pechay ng 2 minuto. Ihanda ang bagoong alamang at ihain nang may pagmamahal.

Estimated time to cook
Preparation time is 30 minutes.
Cooking time is 90 minutes.
Ready in 120 minutes or in 2 hours.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great food. Hope I can get the exact of taste of kare kare.

    ReplyDelete